Browning M1917 AND M1919 Machinery

Welcome to the article about the machine gun Browning M1917 and M1919, giving continuation to the articles of arms of World War II.

aero precision

To talk about the invention of the machine gun Browning M1919, it is necessary to go back in time or visit Guns and Ammunition for Sale at E-arms.com. Between the late 19th century and the early 20th century, when the US still did not care much about acquiring this type of weaponry. At that time, they had not yet participated in any major conflict, only a few confrontations such as the Spanish-American War, which lasted only five months (between April 25 and August 12, 1898) the indigenous wars, which were 1836 until 1891, and the Mexican Expedition, when they went after Pancho Villa in Mexico, which resulted in the death of 15 Americans, between March 1916 and February 1917.

Before the US entered the Spanish-American War, its Army received several different machine guns, many European models such as Hotchkiss machine guns and also some Browning M1895 machine guns, manufactured by Colt and the first machine gun developed by the designer. As early as 1890, John received the patent for a machine gun with blowback operation, and in 1901 manufactured the first prototype of this type of weaponry, the model was called the M1901. The project was stagnant because of the lack of interest of the military forces in acquiring this type of armament. In 1910, John Moses Browning turned his attention to his new weapon ak47 parts and made several improvements, which was what was to become the machine gun model 1917: a heavy machine gun, powered by a belt of ammunition. Around his barrel was a kind of metal jacket, in which water was poured through a hole in his jacket to cool the barrel. His caliber was the .30-06 Springfield, standard of the army at that time.

Even with this new weapon, the US Armed Forces still had no interest in acquiring new machine guns, after all the country was not participating in any major conflict and did not intend to participate in one. Until in April 1917, with the entry of this country into World War I, acquiring machine guns became a necessity. At this time, the Americans had a meager arsenal of machine guns and the ones they had were already obsolete, in non-standard gauges. This situation became unsustainable as military personnel arriving in France needed to use armor borrowed from Allied forces, not just machine guns, but also battle tanks, as tanks had since they had exactly 0 units.

This year the Army has launched a contract for a new submachine gun. Browning delivered the prototype of the machine gun created in 1910 to military force and this prototype made 20,000 shots without any mechanical failure. Officials, still doubting Browning’s weapon, said that this model would not be able to accomplish the same feat when it was mass-produced, and in response to that John Browning gave the army a new prototype that not only repeated the feat of the previous unit , of not making any mistakes, as he made 2,000 more shots. Something praiseworthy even by modern standards. An order was then placed on 40,000 copies of the weapon, with production contracts being distributed to Colt, Remington and New England Westinghouse.

In 1918 Browning realized that he had worked well on the blowback operation system on his machine gun and then decided to upgrade his project because he wanted his weapon to be used in tanks of war, which was impossible for the M1917 model on account of her iron jacket (if she suffered any kind of damage, she could leave the weapon unused). Nor could this weapon be used in cavalry because of its excessive weight. John then made his changes to the project, removed the jacket that was cooling the pipe, added a type of heat sink around the barrel, and replaced the lighter 24 “barrel of the M1917 with a heavier 18” , among other internal changes that culminated in the birth of the model 1919 or M1919 Tank Machinegun.

The Army named the weapons according to the year they were adopted by them and so the machine gun M1917, which was developed in 1910 was called M1917. In 1917, there were 3 guns with this model, a Colt M1917 revolver, an Enfield M1917 rifle and the Browning M1917 machine gun. In 1918 Browning had already developed, fabricated and even delivered to some squads in France, during World War I, the light machine gun BAR M1918. To avoid an embarrassing situation, of having two “equal” types of armament, of the same designer, with the same model, they decided to name the new M1919 air-cooled machine gun. During this conflict was passed to the New England Westinghouse a great request of manufacture, but with the end of the War in November the number fell to 500 arms, and in total only 1300 Browning M1919 machine guns were produced for World War I. In addition, the end of the North American interest in acquiring new armaments.

The M1919 Tank Gun (or Tank Machine Gun) did not have a pointing device and to avoid this, a type of optical sight was placed on the gun receiver (besides having put a kind of removable “telescopic” stock). the M1919A1 model, which was used in Mark VIII tanks. Around 1930 Army Cavalry received several M1919 Tank Machinegun machine guns and since the original model did not have a target machine, the military of this unit adapted these pieces of other weapons by placing the crosshair on the back of the receiver and mass on a ring that was close to the tip of the barrel. They made a new tripod and presented to the Department of Supplies (Ordnance Departmant) how it would be the necessary weapon for its use.

The infantry, not to be left behind, acquired about 72 M1919 Tank Gun machine guns which also had the mass of sight adapted and allocated right in front of the receiver, making it known as M1919A3.

Between 1931 and 1936, Rock Island Armory won the .30-06 caliber weaponry rights to the Springfield Armory, and then conducted various performance tests on armaments of that caliber. All models of M1919 machine guns up to then had an 18 “barrel, but using this type of barrel the .30-06 Springfield caliber did not reach its full potential. It was then determined, after countless tests, that a 24 “barrel would improve the accuracy and distance of the shots.

In these tests two experimental models were created: M1919E2 and M1919A2E3, both equipped with 24 “pipes. The A2E3 machine gun was attached to the M1917A1 machine gun’s tripod, much like the M1919A2, but with a 24 “barrel. Its cable was a single piece of aluminum, instead of having splints of wood, the strap of aim was mounted in the window of protection of dust. It had reinforced flaps on the sides of the frame, its eye strap remained in place on the M1919A2, on a ring at the front of the barrel.

There were also other internal changes, such as various types of damping system, which consisted of various combinations of fiber discs, springs, stop cones and friction. The recoil damping system of ar parts sale, located on the back of the frame, is designed to absorb some of the energy released by the bolt movement, thereby preventing damage to the body of the weapon.

Already the experimental model M1919E2, had as main modification the location of the mass of sighting, that now was located just ahead of the body of the weapon. With the mass there, the aim radius was reduced from 60cm to 35cm, but this made equipping these vehicles with vehicles easier, since it was also foldable. This type of sight remained until the last model of Browning M1919.

The best-known and final model, the M1919A4 (which actually was not the end), came shortly after the development of the M1919A3 model. It was created to be used fixedly in vehicles (M1919A4 Fixed Machinegun), and mobile, tripod mounted (M1919A4 Flexible Machinegun). And it was precisely this model used during World War II. At this time the glocks parts for sale and all the M1919A2 models that the army owned were converted to the M1919A4 model, which now had a 24 “, heavier barrel, handle and mass of sight on the body of the weapon, had no stock or any type of latch. It worked by delay blowback action and fired with the bolt open.

The companies that produced the M1919A4 machine gun were the Rock Island Armory (RIA), Saginaw, a subsidiary company of General Motors and later by the Buffalo Arms. Other well-known companies, such as Springfield Armory, were already crowded producing the M1 Garand rifles, leaving the smaller companies to work on producing this weaponry. By the end of World War II, these companies produced about 435,000 copies of this armament, 367,000 for Saginaw, 30,000 for Rock Island Armory and 38,000 for the Buffalo Arms.

M1919Two other models were also created and also used during World War II, were the models M1919A5 and A6. The M1919A5 model was an adaptation of the M1919A4 model, which had only a larger handle for locking the handle, a different handle to hold the gun and support points to be fitted to the M3 Stuart tank dome.

The M1919A6 had a metal or wood butt attached to the handle of the gun an aero precision then a beep, instead of a tripod, a flare at the end of the barrel and a handle to carry the gun, as well as a lighter barrel. These modifications were made as an attempt to create a lighter machine gun that could be loaded and fired by a single person, since the gun itself weighed more than an M1919A4, but by using a bipod instead of a tripod, that made it lighter overall. This weapon was intended to supply the Infantry and the Parachute.

As was said, not only the M1919A5 but also the M1919A6, were used in World War II and the last also in the Vietnam War. The M1919A5 machine guns, leaving the scene of the tank for which it was developed, were all converted to A4 or A6, while A4 and A6 continued to be produced.

In 1957 the responsibility for the production of machine guns in .30-06 Springfield caliber came back to Springfield Armory with aero precision lower  and by that time they were gradually replacing the M1919A4 / A6 machine guns with the new M60 in 7.62x51mm caliber.

The use of this machine gun world was extensive and to this day there are countries that use this weaponry, some in the original form, at .30-06, others have converted it to the most modern 7.62x51mm.